Thursday, December 6, 2012

Warm Cozy Recy-Mittens

Warm Cozy Recy-Mittens



First go to the thrift store or search your closet for either wool or cashmere old sweaters that no longer fit or have a few holes or you just don't like anymore to wear.

Here I choose a pink cashmere cardigan that had a few holes in it and I washed it in hot water and dried it on hot in the drier to shrink it up and make the knit nice and tight to sew. This is called felting.



Step 2-
I made a temp-plate and traced out 2 for the back mitten shapes and 2 for the front mitten shapes. 




Step 3-
I cut out my mitten shape out of the sweater. I chose 2 from the back of the sweater and 2 from the front of the sweater using the pockets in my mitten design for a cute extra special unique boutique look.




Step 4-
Pin the back and the front together matching up edges and placing the outside on the inside. Sew together and turn inside out.



Step 5- 
Turn in side out and cut any threads. Here you see the back hand of my mittens with the pocket from the front of the sweater and the front (palm) of the mittens. 
Note the nice cuff from the edge of the sweater.





Step 6-
I decided I needed a little bling so I hand stitched a few beads using silver metallic thread on the edge of the pocket from my stash I already owned.





Now my mittens are all done and for free! 
Cute and warm and soft. 
I can't wait to enjoy them later today.




1 comment:

Angel Threads - NCG said...

Awesome job! I love to recycle anything and everything!